Symbolic Picture Frequently Asked Questions

FAQ - Frequently Asked Questions

Answers to questions on the topics of module registrations, examinations, sick leave and exmatriculation, and on the Corona framework statutes
Symbolic Picture Frequently Asked Questions
Image: Pixabay/ReadElements

You have problems opening the linked forms?
Some PDF forms are dynamic forms. These can only be opened with the desktop version of Adobe Reader or Adobe Acrobat DC, but not on devices with the Android or iOS operating systems. When opening directly in the browser, the message "Please wait" may also appear. In this case, please download the document and then open it. See also help for opening in the browser.

General FAQs

Which examination office is responsible for me? Expand entry

Which examination office do I need to contact?

Friedrich Schiller University is a large university with several independently operating examination offices. That might be confusing, especially for students in multi-subject programmes. In single-subject programmes (e.g. B. Sc., 180 LP), only one examination office is responsible for you. In multi-subject programmes (e.g. teacher training), up to three examination offices can be relevant to you.

Please refer to the following overview for our degree programmes:

Study and Examination Office of the Faculty of Chemical and Earth Sciences

  • B. Sc. Biogeosciences
  • B. Sc. Chemistry
  • B. Sc. Geography
  • B. Sc. Earth Sciences
  • M. Sc. Biogeosciences
  • M. Sc. Chemistry
  • M. Sc. Chemical Biology
  • M. Sc. Chemistry-Energy-Environment
  • M. Sc. Chemistry of Materials
  • M. Sc. Geography
  • M. Sc. Geoinformatics
  • M. Sc. Earth Sciences
  • M. Sc. Environmental and Geo-resource Management

Academic Office for Student Affairs and Examinations (ASPA)

  • B. A. Geology (EF)
  • B. A. Human Geography (EF)

Teacher Training - State Examination in Chemistry and Geography (as well as extension subject)

  • Examinations in Chemistry and Geography (incl. subject didactics): Office of Student Affairs and Examinations of the Faculty of Chemistry and Earth Sciences
  • Examinations in the second subject (incl. subject didactics): depending on the second subject
  • Examinations in Educational Sciences: Academic Office for Student Affairs and Examinations (ASPA)

Can I still contact the Academic Office for Student Affairs and Examinations (ASPA) with my concerns?

No. The ASPA is only responsible for Bachelor of Arts and Master of Arts programmes. This mainly refers to study programmes of the faculties for social sciences and humanities.

The ASPA cannot answer enquiries from students for whom other examination offices are responsible, as there is no access to the respective study accounts or examination files for data protection reasons.

Documents, applications and theses received by the ASPA must therefore be forwarded from there to the respective examination office responsible. This can lead to your documents not reaching the respective study and examination office in time, which can cause further difficulties.

Therefore, please make sure that you address your concerns directly to the examination office responsible for you.

Can I also use the ASPA application forms for my applications?

No. The application forms and documents provided by the ASPA are tailored to the degree programmes, the internal work processes, the examination regulations, which may differ in some cases, and the decisions of the relevant examination boards.

The same applies to the application forms and documents that we make available to you.

Since the ASPA and the decentralised examination offices are different institutions that work independently of each other, different application forms are used accordingly.

Applications and forms Expand entry

Where can I find application forms?

On the websites of the faculty and university you can download:

When will my application be processed? Will I receive feedback?

The examination boards discuss applications at regular intervals in the examination board meetings. You will receive written feedback from the Office for Student Affairs and Examinations.

Informal application Expand entry

What should an informal application include?

An informal application should be written in letter form and must contain the following information:

  • Personal details: Name, first name, matriculation number, e-mail address, address and telephone number.
  • Examination details: degree programme, name of the module, examination number, examination date, name of the examiner, examination attempt (1st, 2nd, 3rd attempt of the examination).

Appropriate supporting documents must be enclosed with the application. The application is only valid with a signature!

You can also use this form [pdf, 1 mb] de for your informal application: Please tick the box "special request" in the form.

Where should the application be submitted?

The signed application can be scanned and sent by e-mail, by post to the Office for Student Affairs and Examinations or submitted in person as an original to the Office for Student Affairs and Examinations.

Sick note Expand entry

I am ill and cannot take part in an exam, seminar or practical laboratory course. What should I do?

You have to submit the sick note to the Office for Student Affairs and Examinations within three working days of the illness - either in person, by mail or by email. Please scan the original document and then send it as a PDF to The sick note can NOT be made by fax or telephone.

No online certificates issued via telemedicine online providers will be accepted. Sick notes after a video consultation should be the exception; a prerequisite for this is that you as a student have already been treated by this doctor before. Certificates from internet companies are not accepted!

In the case of missed practical laboratory course or seminar dates or portfolio examinations, you have to submit a copy of the sick note to the lecturer.

Where do I submit the sickness certificate?

Sickness certificates/attests can be deposited in the mailbox in the corridor of the Office of Studies and Examinations or sent by post (Office for Student Affairs and Examinations of the Faculty of Chemistry and Earth Sciences, Humboldtstr. 11, 07743 Jena). Label the sick note/certificate on the back with your matriculation number, study programme, examination number, examination name and examination date. The email adress is:

You can use the sickness notification form [pdf, 1 mb] de.

Pregnancy Expand entry

I am pregnant, what do I have to consider?

  1. Please inform the Student Service Center (SSZ) about your pregnancy.
    Official notification of pregnancy to the SSZ is necessary in order to take comprehensive protective measures for you and your (unborn) child. Please use the forms provided for this purpose (see, among others,

  2. Preparation of an individual risk assessment by the faculty.
    Please contact the responsible CGF advisory office: Dr Rainer Kilian (e-mail:, phone: (03641) 9-48103). In the individual risk assessment, you record which courses/modules you (can) continue to attend and, if necessary, determine compensation options with the persons responsible for the modules.

    Attention: Under pandemic conditions
    A limit of 30 min. daily masking is mandated for pregnant students. This may result in a ban on employment or participation in certain courses if it is not otherwise possible to comply with the necessary protective measure.
    Alternative measures can be discussed with instructors, which will be recorded in the individual risk assessment.

  3. Forwarding to the Student Service Center (SSZ)
    The completed and signed individual risk assessment (original) including any accompanying documents (copy) will be forwarded to the SSZ.

Further information for pregnant students

Examinations Expand entry

Where can I find important information on examination regulations?

You can find the information: in the study and examination regulations de, in the module catalogue, in Friedolin, in the journal of legal notices of the Friedrich Schiller University Jena de ("Verkündungsblatt der Friedrich-Schiller-Universität") and on the website of the Office for Student Affairs and Examinations.

Taking examinations

By taking an examination, you automatically confirm your ability to take the exam.

How often may I repeat a module examination?

That regulates the respective examination regulations. An examination can be repeated a maximum of twice.

Registration for an examination Expand entry

How do I register for an examination?

Registration must take place no later than ten weeks after the start of lectures. Up to this point, it is possible to withdraw a registration directly via Friedolin without giving reasons, after which the registration is considered binding. For examinations scheduled within ten weeks, the binding registration must at the latest one week before the first examination date. For block courses, excursions or lectures with early pre-planning requirements, the faculty may set up different regulations.

You are obliged to check your examination registrations and deregistrations yourself. To do so, use the menu item "My exams" in Friedolin.

I have problems registering online.

Please send a ticket to the Friedolin team.

Will I be automatically registered for the repeat examination?

Yes, you will be automatically registered for your 2nd attempt if it takes place in the current semester. Please note that you must take the exam on the next possible date.

Examination withdrawal Expand entry

Is it possible to withdraw from an examination?

Withdrawal from examinations is possible within the first ten weeks of lectures directly via Friedolin, provided that you did not yet complete any assessed coursework and examinations.

After ten weeks, withdrawal is only possible in cases of hardship or for other valid reasons.

Withdrawal from examinations for health reasons

In the event of withdrawal from an examination, sickness notifications must be submitted immediately (within three days) after illness to the Faculty's Office of for Student Affairs and Examinations (not to the module coordinator). A parallel cancellation (verbally or by email) with the module coordinator is recommended.

In case of illness, the student is not allowed to take part in an examination. If he/she takes part, he/she automatically declares that he/she is fit to take the examination. A medical certificate which is submitted after participation in an examination and before the announcement of the examination result can generally no longer be recognised, unless there are special circumstances.

Assessment method of the module examination Expand entry

In what form are the examinations to be taken?

You can find information on the assessment method of the module examination in the module descriptions.

Can I change the assessment method?

A change of the assessment method is possible when applying for at the Office for Student Affairs and Examinations. The application must state the reasons, and it must include the examination date and the confirmation of the examiner (signature).

Final thesis (Bachelor's Thesis/ Master's Thesis) Expand entry

How do I register my thesis and what do I have to consider?

Theses (Bachelor's/Master's theses) are usually registered at the end of your studies by means of an application form at the Office for Student Affairs and Examinations of the Faculty of Chemistry and Earth Sciences:

An overview of all legal information concerning your thesis can be found here: Information for the preparation of a thesis

The Office for Student Affairs and Examinations is often asked which formal design criteria the cover sheet must contain. There are no guidelines for this. Nevertheless, we provide you with possibilities of design from previous theses:

How can I extend the processing time for my thesis?

If you need to extend your Bachelor's or Master's thesis, please submit the Application for Extension of Thesis to the Office for Student Affairs and Examinations at least two weeks before the deadline.

An extension can be granted for the following reasons:

  • changes for which the student is not responsible (e.g. demonstrable failure of a central measuring device over a longer period of time, workplace not available due to renovation, relocation, etc.),
  • significant, unforeseeable changes in the work schedule (these must be explained),
  • change of supervisor (e.g. in case of departure, in case of illness or conflict situations etc.) as well as
  • private reasons recognized as hardship cases (hardship cases include: e.g. death in the family, care of family members, unforeseeable life circumstances, illness child, etc.).


Please note: The PDFs of the applications must first be downloaded to your PC and can then only be processed correctly by opening the downloaded documents. Opening them in the browser will display incomplete documents.

Examination definitively not passed Expand entry

I have definitively failed an exam. Can or do I still have to take exams of other modules after this status has been announced?

You can continue to take examinations until you are exmatriculated. From the day of exmatriculation, the right to take an examination automatically expires. You have to deregister registered exams that you no longer wish to take in writing at the Office for Student Affairs and Examinations.

Case of hardship Expand entry

Regulation of a hardship application for geography - teacher training (Gymnasium/ Regelschule)

The Teacher Training Examinations Committee announces that the following three criteria will be used to examine applications for hardship:

  1. the timely submission of the hardship application,
  2. proof of the hardship application with official documents (e.g. sickness certificate),
  3. the previous academic achievements in the subject.

If the evaluation of at least one criterion is negative, a hardship application cannot be granted.

De-registration Expand entry

Can I de-registrate if I still have a repeat exam after the end of the semester?

If it is a repeat exam that takes place no later than the second week after the start of lectures, there is no need to re-register for the following semester.

Can I de-registrate if I am still writing my thesis?

Exmatriculation before submission of the thesis is only possible if the thesis has been applied for and approved and if a written confirmation is given that the experimental part of the thesis has been completed. Here you can download the form "Confirmation of completion of experimental work". [pdf, 881 kb] de

We would like to point out that after exmatriculation, there is no longer any insurance cover on the part of the university.

Can I de-registrate if I have submitted my thesis but have not yet received any evaluations?

Yes, de-registration can take place as soon as all achievements on the part of the student have been completed.

Where can I de-registrate?

The form for de-registration can be obtained at the Student Service Centre ("Studierenden Service Zentrum", SSZ). In addition to the de-registration at the ThULB, the form also requires a de-registration at the Office of Student Affairs and Examinations. The de-registration at the Office of Student Affairs and Examinations can be made in person or the completed form can be sent by post to us (Humboldtstr. 11, 07743 Jena), enclosing a stamped envelope. We will then forward it to the ThULB or the SSZ.

Special feature for students of the study programmes Geosciences and Biogeosciences

The presentation of a routing slip from the Institute of Geosciences is required in order to obtain the signature of the Office for Student Affairs and Examinations on the de-registration form.

This is required by the institute so that no outstanding accounts/liabilities are left open by students leaving the university.

The routing slip forms can be obtained from the Administrative Assistant of the institute ("Institutssekretariat"), Burgweg 11

Doubts in your studies Expand entry

You've had doubts about your studies for a long time and your doubts don't get any less from semester to semester? Are you thinking about changing your subject or university or wondering whether studying is the right thing for you? Here you will find extensive information and tips on the topic of "Doubts about your studies When things just aren’t going according to plan".

We also recommend a personal counselling interview: depending on your concerns, there are different contact persons here, such as the Central student advisory service, the student advisors of your study programme or the Studierendenwerk Thüringen. The staff at the Office for Student Affairs and Examinations will also be happy to help you. Here you can find an overview about the central counselling services for students at the university.

Information on Corona Framework Statutes ("Corona-Rahmensatzung")

The Corona Framework Statutes (CRS) came into force in June 2020. They supplement the existing examination regulations and are intended to alleviate disadvantages that have arisen as a result of the Corona pandemic. The CRS is initially valid for the summer semester 2020 and winter semester 2020/21.

Please find more information about the special CRS regulationson on the

You have further questions?

You did not find an answer to your question on this website? Please contact the Office for Student Affairs and Examinations.